05 November 2010

crafting a new reality

I am interested in experimenting with projecting images and video. Anything I would create/observe through manipulating little projectors on campus would be primitive compared to the technology that has been developed in the area of video and projection.
Video mapping is a good example (see discussion at end of post).

I never thought of this as augmented reality but I guess it is.

Projecting an image or video into a space has the potential to alter our awareness of that space visually and physically. It could make something new which was familiar.

This feels like it overlaps with theatre in terms of crafting a mood or reality.


Thinking through this I will begin a series of studies of projecting images in spaces.
Some thoughts...
  • projecting in Brooks Hall rotunda & Squash courts
  • multiple and/or overlapping projections
  • Could projecting in common spaces within the College of Design engage unused space while broadcasting student work. Could that broaden students awareness of other disciplines?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My official (and apparently late) introduction to the world of video mapping came from the event YouTube Play. A Biennial of Creative Video. This was held at the Guggenheim and live-streamed on youtube. The event also featured a gallery space and video mapping display (featured below).


I new I could count on Wooster Collective, a great street art blog, for more ideas. I'll have to sift through the posts tagged by projections before conducting my own guerilla projection acts.

I would also like to check out Pablo Valbuena's work.

Seeing experiments with light makes me think of another artform I stumbled on through Flikr about a year ago: light painting. Check out Troy Paiva's work.

All this focus on sight...
what about smell, taste, touch, sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment